PowerShot SX 150IS or the SX160IS. Is it really worth the extra 2K?
by Paul Mathew T on 2013-04-28
I have an SX150IS (bought it from a local Canon store), and I'd like to throw some light on this new upgraded version- SX160is.
For an extra 2K what you're gonna get is-
1. 16MP vs 14.1 MP [more pixels crammed into the same old 1/2.3" sensor.Which means no substantial increase in overall image quality]
2. 16x optical zoom vs 12x. Now this is a nice upgrade.
3. Shutter speed - 1/3200 secs vs 1/2500 secs. Counts ONLY if the subject is well lit because the camera has limited low light shooting capabilities.
Bottom line : 16x zoom is the only real upgrade
Here is a regular Pros & Cons list, and this applies to both the cameras:-
1. DSLR like controls-Full manual control, including manual focus(controlled by a dial) and PASM shooting modes. This feature is excellent if you plan on buying a DSLR later, or diving into serious photography.
2. Great zoom.
3. Pop up flash system avoids shadow of the lens barrel in photos.
4. Long exposures - upto 15 secs. Lets you create light paintings.
5. AA battery - available in every roadside stall. You'll never run out of juice.
6. Great macro shooting. 1 cm macro is a killer spec.
7. Good image stabilisation.
1. Significant shutter lag. You'll need to release the shutter much earlier to get the desired shot but thats fine when you get used to it. I mean you'll learn to click early.
2. Image quality decreases drastically beyond ISO400. Anything above IS0400 gives crappy, noisy images.
3. Disappointing battery life. Dont expect more than 200 shots. Continuous HD recording over 20 minutes is impossible.
4. Low light photos tend to be noisy.
5. Not so compact.Wont fit into your pocket.
6. Slow continuous shooting - 0.9fps
If you dont want the full manual controls, go for the IXUS 510HS - Ultra compact, with 3.2" touch screen Wifi and Super Slow motion video recording(lower resolution).
Hope this helps!
latest and Great product from Canon
by Raja Pratap on 2012-11-06
well i don't want to repeat wat's mentioned in the specifications because u need do your homework on knowing ISO, FPS, Image stabilizer and bla bla before buying any Digi cam of 9k+. well to start with, it is one of the best point to shoot cameras out there in current market. The reasons for my buying are:
1.Optical Zoom 16x : (It is a awsum feature for this price)..clear image for longer distance object.
2. AA batteries : i was looking for a cam which can take AA rechargeable batteries, because they are cheap and readily available anywhere in the world. Unlike in other cams they provide lithium-ion batteries they are like RS2500 to carry a spare and moreover just imagine u r in a big trip and batteries are down...lithium-ion has less recharge cycles though. lithium-ion has advantages like low weight and more charge carry.
3.CCD Image sensor : they provide accurate and great picture than CMOS sensor.
4.Look and Feel.
5.Good Image Stabilizer.
6. Lastly it is Latest, released in OCT 2012.
7. Ppl say AA batteries will drain faster...i didn't face that problem..my new camilion rechargeable batteries 2000mah which came along with this pack gave me around 300 pics and was ON all the time. ordinary batteries gives less shots than this...(it is better to replace batteries after 15-20 recharge cycles it shud cost u less than Rs 300)
1. no Inbuilt Panorama..big deal..there are many free panorama software, with which u can stitch images later.
2. 0.8 FPS (I have no intention of taking more images in 1 sec)
3. 720p recording (Not a bit con but people who consider 1080i recording for them a note, for me 6min of 720p took almost 1gb and it was great on my 40inch LCD). just youtube it for test videos taken using canon sx160.
Note: it is completely my point of view.
My first Experience ,, which is not good but best !!!!!
by taiyu on 2012-10-27
1- night mode is too awesome ,Ex-as i have taken a zoom image(16x + opt31x) of half moon, the image is like,that i have taken it from SLR .
2- macro is also very good - I have taken d pic of water drop on a leave in macro its unbelievable.
3- video- telling about video it is better than 150 n others.
4-color- Some time u see that some cameras automatically change d color of image (dark/light) but i hav seen this stuff has a quality of originality.
* 120 images in 1 time recharge, i think its only d problem with d camera's battery .
JUST GRAB IT WITHOUT THINKING < N i suggest u, to take it from CROMA store .
Great Product from Canon
by Dhrubajyoti Basu on 2012-10-22
A worthy upgrade to SX150IS. The greatest feature is of course a super intelligent auto focus which even optimises the zoom range. Also, capturing HD video had never been so easy, even in low light. The Digic4 processor is great.
The only downside is the bundled software that came with this cam. It is too slow even on my notebook with Core I5 processor and crashes more often. But you can always take the card out of the cam and store pictures directly from it.
by Chirag Agarwal on 2012-10-05
Got this camera from a local dealer sometime back. Unfortunately, the quality of the camera photos is worse than what I have on Lumia 720.
Beware people, do not go for it! There are several other options to explore.
Good Point and Shoot Cam with a limited Manual Mode
by Arvind Athmalingam on 2013-06-15
If you are looking for a Point and Shoot camera with the advantage of manual control so that you can learn photography on the cheap DO NOT BUY THIS CAM...
The first problem is the ISO which goes only from 100 to 1600 and anything after 400 ISO on this cam is useful only for social networking sites and not for prints of any size. The noise on this is so much past 400 ISO and since it is limited to 1600 you cant really use it for low light as well.
The second problem is the aperture , it starts at 3.5 and ends at 8, at 8 you do get focus till infinity but at 3.5 you still cant separate the subject from the back ground unless the background is very far.
The only good thing is that it is the shutter speed which is as long as 15 seconds and at its fastest at 1/3200th of a second so freezing action is easy but that is possible only in good lightning conditions, on low light with aperture at 3.5 and ISO at 1600 you get highly under exposed pictures.
This camera will definitely leave you wanting for more if you buy it solely on the merit that it has a manual mode and as for as learning photography with this.... well all you will learn is that this camera has lots of limitations.
To be fair this is a good Point and Shoot Camera .... 16x zoom is more than what you want on any camera and in this it has good detail through out its focal length and since it has AA batteries getting spare ones when you run out of charge on a day out is easy. But it is not portable as some other Canon cameras with 8x zoom which you can easily fit in your pocket , this you can not keep in your pocket even if you wear cargo it will still be uncomfortable to carry it. It has a CCD sensor and not a CMOS sensor and the only selling point is its 16x Zoom.
To sum it up it is a good Point and Shoot camera with a limited Manual mode....its better to buy just a Point and Shoot cam and if you really want to learn Photography, buy the most Basic DSLR (Either Canon 1100D with a 50 mm lens or the Nikon 3100 with AF-S 50 mm lens)
Great Camera with features
by Subhadip Bagui on 2012-11-09
This is a great camera in this range and having many feature. Manual settings mode is awesome if handled correctly. For a first time user accessing all the options a little bit difficult, so it will take some time to adjust. With 16x optical and full 64x digital zoom the pics are coming so clear.
People who are decided to buy SX150 I suggest to go for this one with Rs 1600 extra which includes great looks and more features.
However as a regular customer of flipkart I'm bit disappointed. Ordered this product on flipkart when showing available on flipkart site and was told by sales team can be delivered in max 6 days. Later the product got out of stock and still it is and they had no idea when can be delivered.
So I brought it from out side shop at same price and offers. Like this maroon color more than black or silver.
by Himanshu on 2013-12-26
Camera is too good comapred to other camers in the segment. This has really got a nice zoom, and can stand against SLRs.
1. Superb Quality pics
2. Easy to click
3. AA batteries, which can be changed anytime
4. Manual mode for learners
Didnt find yet in the price of 9k
Its best guys, Dont think, just go for it.You will love it. Buy only from WS Retail seller, coz that has the best service, replacement, and delivery ;)
Nice camera in this price point..
by Subhradip Bhattacharjee on 2013-09-13
Canon SX160 IS is a very nice camera at all . If you are interested to learn about the basic of photography , you can buy this camera with close eyes, after all it has PASM means aperture priority, shutter priority, program and full manual mode. In manual mode you can try various shutter speed and aperture combination. It has also 1cm macro which gives amazing result in aperture 3. In its tele end it gives sharp result. Flash is powerful than any other p&s. U can control flash power. Video quality is nice. Video with manual focus gives amazing result. It runs on AA batteries which is readily available anywhere, makes it very good camera for traveling. And most important - unlike sony and nikon, it produces accurate colors where nikon has tendency to produce yellowish picture and sony has tendency to produce reddish picture. The only cons as I think is its heavier than other p&s thus not pocketable, but it also gives extra stability.
I have got a best Camera in Range
by ankur kulshrestha on 2013-12-26
In my association, everyone is fond of taking pics and most of them are having very expensive cameras (30 k to 1.5 lacs).
Many a times I tried buying a camera but the range did not suit. And finally I saw this camera and bought.
A very good camera...
View all 64 Reviews