Good camera for the price
by Prashant Pandey on 2013-12-28
I have got my hands on this camera today only, so writing about the features I have gone through.
1. Picture quality is good, not great though, since this is an old sensor camera(12 mp). New sensors in MFTs are coming which are higher resolution and in spite of that provide much better low light capabilities (Panasonic G3 for example). However in good light, this should be good enough.
2. I needed a small camera, serves the purpose. I already have a Canon 600D, so I can use that if I need something faster.
3. AF speed is amazing. Very fast. Kit lens provided is very fast and super silent so good for videos too. However there is not optical image stabilisation for videos, so they look a bit jittery with digital stabilisation only.
4. Kit lens construction is very good, image quality is ok for casual shooting.
5, Would have preferred an additional control wheel, single dial is a bit annoying to use in manual mode. May take some getting used to.
6. There is a detachable flash unit in the box, as opposite to what description says and what told to me by the CC representative, although I still ordered as I thought why would someone sell a camera without flash? Guess I was right. Although the issue is you cannot use flash and optional view finders togather. Better dont buy one.
7. A little heavy due to all metal construction, which would have been good if it is not so slippery, Just a little rubber pad for the thumb, that too a little harder to provide much of a grip. I suggest to buy a good hand grip if you dont like to use neck strap like me.
8. If you can spend a little extra, and if you are able to find one, buy Pansonic G3. Got a nice view finder, has better controls and so, so much better grip. Also, fully articulated screen( a la canon 600D/ 60D) and vastly improved sensor.Olympus looks better though.
Brilliant little fellow
by Srinidhi Aithal on 2013-09-11
I had always shyed away from MFT's as they were pricey comparatively, but snatched this deal as it was too tempting. The camera is suited more towards the crowd shifting from a point and shoot. The user interface is very beginner friendly and the image quality is quite excellent. Having been used to an DSLR, the lack of complete control becomes quite apparent, but nevertheless, it works damn well as my secondary camera. Haven't yet used a lot of in-built functions like filters but I've heard they're good. Built quality is superb, but the kit lens is not as fast. But works well with my old SLR lenses with suitable adapters, and these are available for dirt cheap on the internet. The carry case for the camera is quite good too.
And lastly, was amazed with Flipkarts delivery this time around. Reached me within 2 days of my order, and that was super quick.
by Saurav Roy on 2014-09-17
Awesome product from OLYMPUS; the PEN Lite E-Pl3 is a bomb-shell of a camera.
Blazing fast Auto Focus(AF).
Kit Lens is not the best available but will sufice for normal needs.
3X Zoom is good but not great.
Image Stabilization is good but cant handle heavy shakes(Its obvious) [Tripod suggested].
Menus are a bit complicated. but can be mastered in about a weak's time.
If you know your manual settings like the back of your palm, the MANUAL mode will be great but limiting.
Image Quality is Good. Its affected a lot by the dust in the atmosphere.
Flipkart looked to be adamant on keeping this product out of stock for 70% of the last 2 weeks. but managed to book it somehow on the 10th of september, 2014
Delivery was said to be 13th september 2014. within a day, the delivery date became 15th sept.
on 15th sept, no delivery guy arrived, nor any notifications on my cell-phone.
Called up customer care. Was told that there was a problem in LOGISTICS.
Went out with a friend on 16th but the delivery guy arrived.
(Now here is the part that angers me)
He called my 52 year old mom 200m out onto a busy road with ~15K with her to take the delivery. and did not come into my lane on his 100cc motorcycle.
I am an old customer of flipkart and didnt expect THIS to happen.
Hope flipkart improves there response time and hires better delivery staff.
by Harshad RJ on 2014-02-07
I bought this as an experiment into DSLR photography, as I was not sure how much this would be better / convenient than a point-n-shoot that I have (Canon 100IS)
First off, the photo quality is only as good as my point-n-shoot. This seems to be mostly because of the limited-quality kit lens. The kit lens is especially poor at high focal length setting.
However, for budding photographers this is a good camera to experiment with. When you are ready for the next level, you can purchase a good quality lens and extend the life of this camera. MFT lens have a simpler design, so they tend to be lower in cost.
One problem with the LCD preview screen is that it doesn't support the entire range of colors captured by the camera. Hence, the preview appears blocky (though the photos appear fine on a computer screen).
Great buy for the price
by Sumit Sen on 2013-12-06
This camera is perfect for street capture and candids. It is beautifully finished and a pleasure to carry around. The handling needs a bit of getting used to and noise is an issue over ISO 400. If you are a serious photographer and looking for a small camera on a budget, this is the deal to pick up. And do yourself a favour - buy a prime lens for it. The kit lens is garbage.
Flipkart delivery and service is class leading in India - so everything was as expected.
View all 5 Reviews