Performance at a Budget
by Kumar Ankush on 2013-02-09
I placed the order from a VERY remote village in Maharashtra, and got delivered in less than 48 hours(!) after placing the order [placed order at 6:50 PM on 3rd Feb '13 and got the package at 11:30 AM on 5th Feb '13 *wink wink*].
Okay, coming back to the performance of this particular sweet-piece, just few words, IT GETS YOUR WORK DONE.
Don't expect it to perform blazing fast that pops into your eyes. The device performs well in most of the situations.
1. Web browsing is a breeze with evident lag while loading REALLY heavy flash pages (like Wordpress themes website, Apple website) and while switching between them (sometimes even 2~3 seconds).
2. Daily work is as good as any over-powered iCore processors.
3. High Definition (1080p/i) movies play without any lag, no matter how many times you are pausing the movie or tweaking with the controls (testing done on VLC, tests include flipping the video 360degree, playing with equalizer, fast forwarding the video and zooming the video). There was ABSOLUTELY NO frame drop while doing all that. Also in another test, two 720p movies were played side by side, the play was natural smooth again with no lag.
4. The LCD display is very sharp! 1366 x 768 pixel resolution. The exact same resolution is found on most of the 15.6-inch laptops, so the PPI on this beauty is 135 at 11.6-inches, as compared to 100 at 15.6-inches. If you previously had a larger laptop and you come to use this, you'll know what I'm talking about.
5. The battery backup while moderately working (web surfing, editing documents, playing songs, installing occasional software, no video) with Wi-Fi on is just above 3:30 hours, which is not that good (compared to Macbook Air 11-inch at 5 hours; comparing with Macbook because I have one) but is commendable given the 4-cell power stick it has. I'd have particularly loved a bigger battery (6-cell is the norm) and it's absence is the only reason I'm giving this device one star less that the full sweep.
6. The built is solid, not as solid as made from metal, but it feels like it can take a few drops and then some. The plastic does not creak or make noises when pressed, unlike many other plastic made devices. It is light and easy to carry around and never feels like you are carrying something in your arms.
7. Tried playing Prince Of Persia : The Sands Of Time, and it ran smooth at 28fps on medium settings (shadows on, anti-aliasing off, anisotropic filtering 2X) and 1280 x 720 resolution.
1. The display is glossy. I'm yet to come across a situation where I found it a problem but the screen is bright enough to take care of that. Still, I'd prefer a matte display any day. That's my personal opinion, not many of people will have a trouble with that.
2. The arrow keys are tad small. I always press other directional key while I'm not looking.
You don't really need that much power if all you work with is editing documents, web browsing, occasional videos and very rare gaming sessions. If you are looking for something which has more computational power ONLY, look else where, preferably go with core2duo in the Rs. 20K range. If all you want is a lightweight desktop/laptop replacement which is easy on the pocket and above average in performance, look no further.
Some insights based on personal experience:
1. The laptop never gets hot enough to not be held in hands/lap, thanks to the APU by AMD. You can stop worrying about your sperm count.
2. The graphics memory is SHARED and NOT DEDICATED, as mentioned in the description. That leaves you about 1.74GB of usable RAM for CPU.
3. All the drivers are available on the ACER website, no reason to panic in case of loss of driver disk.
4. Did you know Windows 8 works flawless on this device? :D
5. The screen bends all the way to >160 degrees; great when you are lying in bed and operating.
6. The alphabet portion of keypad is well spaced, and I mean well spaced because it has the same spacing of keys as on a regular 15.6-inch laptop. The trade-off you have to make with the special keys, which are smaller, that's one compromise you have to make. But even then, it's not annoying because you understand that they have tried their best to keep you away from missing productivity skills.
7. There's some problem while installing Linux, I'm sure that problem is particularly with me only. The trackpad and brightness adjustment keys were not working while I tried a Live-Disk of Mint.
8. Overall, very happy with the purchase I made.
Thanks again Flipkart for the wonderful price-point and speedy delivery. :)
BURNED WITH SMOKE IN HALF AN HOUR OF OPERATION...
by Abel Thiagarajan on 2013-10-07
Issues with design of any product is acceptable but what does the company do to the customers who buy them trusting in their brand?
- They just says it is not covered under any kind of warranty if the computer smelt smoke.
- So you by this product it gets burnt out because of their improper engineering and you go buy another product from them....Will any fool do so having learnt that there is no support if it blew up right when you go home unbox it and turn it on....
by Rajeev Rama on 2013-02-13
The netbook performs well enough with all day to day operations. Its very light weight and handy. it also performs really well even better than the atom processors in the range.
1. As it is AMD it tries to render and play every softwares and games.
2. 500 gb hdd gives you lot space considering the other netbooks and laptops in this range
3. very light weight and handy.
4. 256mb gpu is integrated and it is fairly good doing its performance
5. Considering any laptops it is very small and does its job. I'd prefer a compact one if you travel a lot
6. keyboard is very good in typing operations and touchpad problems while typing on laptops are very much reduced in this one
Iam running windows 7 ultimate and i haven,t found any major issue with the product that i can specify.
The one is that everybody says that the arrow keys are small. But I give credit to acer for that because the arrow keys are very good in the case of long lasting clicks.
Allaround this gives a nice and easy usage feel when u make habit of it
Acer Aspire V5-121 - Battery is biggest flop
by Nivas on 2014-01-24
Don't go with the specification blindly given by Flipkart. In my case, i was really attracted by giving the false promise ( like battery backup up to 5 hours). I was impressed by specifications of my laptop and battery backup. But battery nackup is the upset for me.
I don't really what to do..whom to blame ..flipkart / seller..
by Niraj Harish on 2013-02-23
This particular model has a delivery time of 7 to 8 days (atleast when I bought it, could've changed when you read this) and I did receive it 8 days after confirming the order. Packaging was excellent. Flipkart service is great, of course.
My main reservations about netbooks were the keyboard and the DVD drive.
- Since this is an 11.6 inch model, it is big enough to have a full keyboard, as one of the pictures show. The chiclet keyboard is fantastic. My only reservation is that the up and down arrow keys are only half the size of the others (which is not the case in the Asus Eee PC). Touchpad is great.
- There is no inbuilt DVD drive, so you'll have to buy an external one.
- Overall the configuration and build quality are fine (you've probably seen the configuration already).
- The screen is not really anti-glare. If there is a tubelight behind me when I'm using it, I can see nothing but the tubelight on the screen.
- This also ships with an Acer pouch (I don't think it is mentioned in the product features), which is a big plus.
- There don't seem to be any heating problems. Battery lasts for atleast 3 hours, and 5+ if the screen brightness is low.
This is preferrable over the Asus Eee PC because it has 1366x768 screen, and a graphics card (shared, not dedicated). But there is the slight drawback with the up and down arrow keys (Eee PC doesn't have that).
This is not much of a laptop for gaming. It is light, and meant for those who want to carry it around a lot.
It comes with Linpus Lite Linux installed, but I wanted to install windows instead. There is no problem of the hard disk drivers getting erased, or any problem with BIOS when installing Windows (with this model, Aspire One 725- this can be verified on the acer website). Just boot from the dvd, format, and install.
Simply Excellent at this price
by nagenbhai on 2013-10-06
Flipkart has delivered it lightning fast as usual. Hats off to their legendary 'e-kart' - all set to redefine courier delivery standards in India.
Using it since 15 days. Just ignore those ****heads who are stopping you from buying this elegant piece saying that the processor speed is only 1GHz!
I mean, if you are not one of those NASA scientists simulating an Appollo landing mission on your laptop using 3D poly models and hard core algorithm which we normal mortals watch only in Hollywood movies, processor speed has NOTHING to do with the overall performance of this machine.
After using a desktop with 3GHz processor, 4GB RAM and 1GB dedicated nVidia graphics, at least I am not feeling any difference in performance. Sometimes, I almost forgot what I am actually using - the desktop or the lappy!
Please, go ahead firm with the purchase decision, you are not going to regret. This is the best lightweight, ultra portable machine below 20K which the owners of 'above-3KG-junks-fitted-with-costly-i-processors' will surely envy.
by Hari Menon on 2013-06-14
I bought it a while ago.Screen size is pleasing. It feels expensive,at least a lot more than the price tag! Brilliant keyboard layout(Arrow keys could have been better though).
I loaded Ubuntu 12.10,swapping out the Limpus. 12.10 doesn't allow the battery to stretch it's legs. You get a maximum of 3-3.5 hours out of a charge. I upgraded to 13.04. It gives me over 4.5 hours of life with the internet.Very functional.Very portable!
Great product for the price!
by Gururaj Rao on 2013-03-29
Flipkart delivery - less than 24 hours on Sunday (Bangalore)!
Nice product, worth every penny.
Linux OS is bad. So I have installed Win7 Ultimate 64 bit, it works great.
HD videos lagged a bit, but it could be improved by raising RAM to 4GB.
Battery life not great but not bad too..
Overall, this is a lot better product than any 10' netbook, so I would recommend this product!
Worst Deal I had ever - 1 RATING coz No option for 0
by Rajesh Azad on 2014-02-09
I bought Acer Aspire V5-121. I am Linux certified professional. It was mentioned on the note that Linux is pre-installed on this machine in Flipkart product description. I bought it. I made worst mistake in my life.
Bought it on 23 Nov 2013 , received courier from Flipkart, opened, tried installing Ubuntu - Failed. Does not support from BIOS side, error screens.
Tried installing from PEN Drive ( Ubuntu Boot Pen Drive ) - USB port was not working, called customer care (Acer) they said - they dont support for linux OS. I just did not broke laptop against wall because I paid for it. I called Flipkart and told the story, they said we are helpless. SORRY a simple word.
I checked on blogs for help and found similar complaint by a person to Founder of FlipKart and posted the link of blog to customer care ( cs AT flipkart DOT com ) and they called me up that replacement of same laptop will be done soon. I requested that I would pay extra money get me a better one, they said NO just replacement is possible ,nothing else.
I got replacement after 5 days and tried installing Ubuntu / Windows 7 ( USB ports working now ). Cant spend money buying genuine windows so bought Linux based Laptop - but ... no use.
Not working, Ubuntu not picking wifi drivers n LAN driver - no support for drivers even on Acer site for Aspire V5 121 - Linux Drivers - and company is shipping it with pre installed Linux.
DONT BUY THIS MODEL UNLESS YOU WANT TO WASTE YOUR MONEY.
by Ashok Kumar Meena on 2014-03-19
I am very much satisfied with this netbook.
I am having one bigger laptop for high end works.
But for daily office work and internet surfing, this netbook is perfect.
It came without any OS. I have installed Windows 8.1 and working very nicely.
The keyboard is very nice. so light weighted and compact that i can work in standing condition holding this in one hand.
Perfect as per my requirements.
View all 27 Reviews