by Kanwar Anand on 2016-02-21
I usually review a unit 3 days into it but this time I decided to wait. I took 7 days. A little bit about myself. I am one of those people everyone calls an Apple fanboy. I try to be very strict and unforgiving when it comes to Apple, however. The reason for this is because you often spend 1lakh rupees for a computer, about 50,000 for an iPad Air 2 and if you have been unlucky to buy an Apple watch or the iPad Bro (not Pro because its so big) , you know what I am talking about. Gone are the days where the consumer believed in Apple being a fool-proof purchase. Look at the little irritating upgrades every year (5s, Mini 2/3, iPad Pro) and you'll know Apple is no longer a company you can just trust with your eyes closed. Yes, I have a love/hate with Apple. So much so, that I now own a Note 5 also alongside my iPhone 6. Best/worst of both worlds, I dare concede. Also why you may wanna care for my review is because I own a Macbook Air, Macbook Pro Retina and now the new Macbook 12.
Moving on, now that I've said my piece, I will talk about the new Macbook 12. Of course the design is fabulous, the screen is mecca, the sound is excellent, so excellent you'll think a macbook has never sounded better and for most of it, buddy you're right. The battery is 10 hours and that's gold I think. The keyboard is lovely, I don't know why they are complaining. The USB C port can easily be expanded with a Rs 900 hub. Don't follow? I purchased a 900 accessory from Amazon India and now I can simply connect 4USB Drives and they all work at optimum speed. I am struggling to find things I dislike because Apple has really gone all guns blazing with this machine. You put this on your lap, its good. You put this on a table, it is par excellence. You put this on your stomach while lying down and it won't even heat. Deciding between this and the Macbook Pro Retina? Read on...
If you are in the market for a value for money Macbook, you should only consider the Macbook Air 13 because that is where all the value for money lies. It is worth paying the price because it has the best battery, arguably the best keyboard, the best brightness (for brightness junkies) but it lacks Retina. Otherwise its excellent and perfect value.
If you are in the market to decide between the Macbook 12 and the Macbook Pro Retina, things are interesting... Let me compare why one is better than the other...
WHY YOU SHOULD CHOOSE MBP RETINA OVER MACBOOK?
1) Rugged Use. Bigger screen.
2) Extra USB ports always available at your disposal
3) I use the HDMI port on the Retina Macbook Pro all the time
4) Feels like more of a bang for your buck just by looking at it. You can get one for 85k and even 79k on the days amazon is feeling generous.
5) 60% of people are likely to like the Apple Macbook Pro Retina's keyboard more
6) That's a powerhouse i5 5th gen and this is an Intel Atom 1.1 GHZ (sounds like a celeron equal) but then I'm only a media user.
7) Both MacBooks have cameras and both are terrible. The one on the MBP is marginally better.
8) The APPLE logo only lights up on the MBP (some may care so Im mentioning)
9) No need to invest into USB C. You can charge and use your hard drive simultaneously. But in Macbook you have to wait buddy.
10) If you're interested in investing in Windows, then MBP is a better option for performance slump won't be noticeable.
11) Sometimes this lasts me 1 to 2 hours extra as opposed to the new macbook.
Why you should buy a Macbook instead of the MBP Retina or MBA?
1) The sound is overwhelmingly good. I mean the bass is consistent and it destroys the tinny sound of the other MacBooks. I love this feature. Mind you it is not as loud as the MBP or Air.
2) Though this is more expensive because at this this time of writing this review it costs 91k and the MBP R costs 86k, the difference is that this has a 256GB SSD. I highly recommend a 256GB SSD because both my Macbook Pro Retina and the Macbook have this. My macbook Air with 128GB SSD got full long back.
3) The keyboard is one to love. It is from the future.
4) The form factor is one to love. It is from the future also.
5) I am more likely to use my Macbook than the MBP Retina simply because it is easier to access, it is more portable and it is so perfect all the time, with no system lag, this is just brilliant i think.
6) Both displays are brilliant. Apple destroys everyone else with its perfect Retina display. The Macbook Air can't even touch this.
7) Minimum of 8 hours on a single charge.
8) You can't get the Macbook Pro in any colour other than the big brother silver. The MacBooks are in gold, silver and space grey. I don't know about you but I wouldn't buy a Gold macbook but that's just me. Its too bling and out there. AND this year when they update the Macbook, the old gold will look gawdy, mark my words.
If I was in your shoes and looking for a MBP or a Macbook, I'd have a tough time. I hope the points I enlisted help. Unless you're doing video editing, or highly processor intensive apps all the time, don't buy the MACBOOK PRO. If you're in for the sleek, sexy and fantastic, go with the Macbook.
RESALE VALUE -
All three units have excellent Resale values...
If you use it for 2 years, at the end of 2 years, you can still resell for about 65% of the money you paid. So keep those boxes, keep those bills handy. Do not throw away anything. Whether you buy from INDIA or Australia or UK or USA or Nairobi, the warranty is active everywhere in the world.
Battery life? All MacBooks last about 8 hours at least. So you should be very happy in buying them. Please don't keep your laptop plugged in all the time. Let it discharge after 100%.
Apple Care? I suggest you invest in 3 years if you intend on keeping the macbook for that long. Unless you're a constant upgrader like me, you should invest 14000 extra and get that 3 year warranty.
Have I used it? My Macbook Pro Retina's screen stopped coming on. I tried everything and finally took it to the service centre and they fixed it for free in one day. But this is all under warranty.
How long will it take for them to replace battery? 1000 cycles or if its capacity goes below 80%. The warranty is covered in Apple Care. Its worth changing your battery after 18 months, buddy.
Gifting your friend? Child? Mother? Buy the Macbook Air or this one.
Please like my review if it is helpful.
Please dislike my review if it was unhelpful. I promise to improve on the next one.
Super light and really nice
by Manish Jain on 2016-01-14
One of the lightest laptops you can buy. It's a great machine and I would highly recommend it. The keyboard takes about a day to get used and then you forget about it. The only pain, is the USB-C dongle you have to buy, otherwise you will not be able to connect any device to it. I'm sure in the next 12-18 months, many devices will come standard with the USB-C connector but in the mean time you have to buy the dongle.
Great innovation let down by weird pricing and specs....
by Shivaansh Prasann on 2015-10-20
Before anyone starts complaining about how this is "overpriced like every other mac" and whatnot, get this: this is a tablet replacement and and not a mainstream laptop. Yes, it has 8GB of Ram and a super fast SSD, with a quiet and slim profile, but it stops there. The Core M processor is comparable to the iPhone 6s processor, so it is by no means a weakling, but then again, don't try editing 4K in iMovie or playing any games other than those without any graphical requirements. That said, the price is exorbitantly high, as you get a faster processor, a bigger and better display with many more ports than this "laptop" at a lesser price point by the same manufacturer ( 13" retina MacBook Pro). So this is a device to compete with the Surface Pro series in my opinion, something that the iPad does pretty well. Id say buy this laptop only if you need the Retina display in a super compact package, otherwise save your money and buy the 13" retina MacBook Pro.
Excellent laptop with some limitations
by msingh on 2016-03-27
The opinion on this laptop is pretty divided. I was also confused whether to upgrade to MacBook or stick to my 15 inch Macbook Pro. Since I am already a Mac user for last 8 years, there was no learning curve involved as far as the OS X was concerned.
What I like about this laptop
1. It is fast. I was skeptical about Intel M processor but I have put some heavy load on this laptop (upgrades, browser, emails, chat, Photos, Excel, Presentations etc) and it handled pretty well.
2. The real estate is very impressive. Weight, color options are just impressive. It is truly portable and I will probably carry it everywhere instead of my iPad.
3. 12 inch Retina is very good and I can work most of the day on it without any inconvenience.
4. I was able to snap it at a good price of 91K at Amazon. So got a good price.
Issues that I noticed
1. Keyboard will take sometime getting used to. But I am comfortable after a full day of use.
2. No ports except one USB-C. This can be frustrating at times especially if you want to migrate data from old laptop. I was able to complete it over the wireless network. But this can be a huge limitation if you regularly connect external disks, mouse etc. Buy a USB hub with pass through charging. Same for connecting to a display projector, external monitor. You will adapters for HDMI, VGA, DVI etc.
3. Battery life. Although battery is advertised to last 9 hours, mine is not coming remotely close to it. 5-6 hours tops. I have just upgraded to El Capitan so probably that may improve the battery life. But you can literally see the battery percentage dropping rapidly when you work on the laptop.
4. Megsafe port is missing. I think this is a step back. Also the charging cord can no longer be wrapped around the adapter. They could have come up with a Megasafe to USB-C adapter or something similar.
If you need a portable laptop and don't care too much about the USB port limitation, then this laptop is a good choice. Don't worry about the keyboard, you will get used to it soon.
I will update my review after using the laptop for few more weeks.
====Review updated after 20 days of use======
1. Battery life has improved once I updated the OS. I usually get 8 hours of battery with 50% brightness, keyboard LED off, Wifi/browsing with no video/music.
2. Keyboard is still an issue. I am getting used to it but typing errors have increased compared to previous mac keyboard.
3. Ports are a big limitation. I can't connect my iPhone to the laptop. Even for a wireless sync to work, I need to first plug the phone to the laptop once. This means spending another 6.1K INR on an adapter.
It is costly but what u pay the best quality you get
by Nikunj Jain on 2016-05-29
If you are looking for something very light go for this. It is costly but what u pay the best quality you get. Though i have rated it four stars because it does not have usb slot so you cannot connect any pendrive to it. You have to buy a external drive which will cost you Rs 6000. I am currently using macbook air which weighs something about 1.3 kgs plus it has a usb slot and it will cost you less.
by iharbir on 2016-01-21
The product is very good and genuine but be careful about warranty as products ...
by Naresh kumar on 2016-04-15
The product is very good and genuine but be careful about warranty as products are imported ones so warranty starts from purchase country and you may be able to get only 6 to 9 months warranty depending upon resale period in india. In my case I come to know that warranty of my product is 6 months only is as per apple website. However issue remains whether apple india will honour or not?
Best in Looks & Quality
by Sandy on 2016-09-01
Though I bought it from outside , super stylish, trendy , very light weight and easy to carry like notebook along with that very nice configuration
Though costly but worth buying it
by Amazon Customer on 2016-04-24
Very good product
by KalpeshTimes on 2016-03-02
Superb product, superb service, excellent packing. Best Deal even !!!
View all 11 Reviews