by Ayan Ahmed on 2014-10-21
Let me start off by telling you why you should order this laptop. I got for rs.22,000 inclusive of citibank cash back offer. now the reasons:
1. EXCELLENT battery life. I'll come to why, later.
2. AMD radeon R5 graphics. played world of warcraft(WoW), Dota2, League of legends and also minor CAD/CAM drawing(i'm an engineering student) without a hitch.
3. the screen brightness is excellent and speakers are good enough. The maximum sound is acceptable, but the best thing is it DOES NOT DISTORT music at those levels.
4. A6 is a true quad core, wheres i3 and it's more expensive sibling i5 are both dual cores(i5 has hyperthreading which does not come close to the performance of a physical core). Both Intel and AMD have the Turbo feature, but if you notice, AMD gives a much higher-lower threshold.
5. BEST PART: AMD has something called a Catalyst Centre, which once downloaded, lets you do the following:
a. SET the min/max clock speeds of the cpu for different modes/presents, also the Anti-liasing and Anisotropic filtering performance for each mode and also make it application specific. AMD has it's own technology called SMOOTHVISION™ which really gives fluid graphics at high FPS.
b. In low power mode, it uses the integrated R4 graphics, but as soon as you change the preset(or open a game) it'll automatically swap to the 2gb Radeon R5. Sweet huh? (in Intel, you have to disable either GPU from BIOS, which means discrete gpu running when not needed=crappy battery life).
c. GPU is powerful enough to support upto 3 displays(projector+TV+...etc) with AMD Eyefinity™ technology.
7. With the on-board graphics enabled, and screen at 40% brightness(thats more than enough indoors, thanks to anti glare screen) I played 2 hours of DOTA 2(I always play games at max res), and 1 hour of browsing (youtube at 720p) and still had 16% battery left.
8. I uninstalled UBUNTU the day I got it, and am running windows 7 pro 64-bit, avast 2014.9.0.2021 latest, windows defender disabled, and all windows updates and dell drivers updated to latest version. And it's butter smooth.
9. keyboard is nice to use, the keys are soft-touch type have good tactile feedback without having that cheap plasticky click.
10. the touchpad is ultra sensitive at max setting, ignores palm touch by mistake while typing and has cool gesture features including pinch to zoom, circular gesture scrolling, 2 finger, 3 finger and EVEN 4 finger gestures which I haven't used yet.
11. build quality is Brilliant, with no flex or creaks anywhere, even when I carry it single handedly.
12. webcam is nice and clear in normal lighting, little grainy in medium/low artificial light.
13. the only time I heard the inbuilt fan till date, was when downloading/installing 1.8 GB of windows updates+Dell drivers, since then it's been NOISELESS.
14. Never heated up till date beyond 52°C, even after playing WoW or DOTA2, (max-res, gamers will understand).
15. The hinges are of extremely good quality, as expected from DELL.
I can honestly say that it's a steal at this price, and I haven't faced a single hiccup till date. Go for it, you won't regret it.
Just a few pieces of advice:
1. Install a 64 bit OS to take full advantage of this cpu (preferably windows).
2. Download the onboard R4 graphics driver first, THEN the discrete R5 graphics, else the latter won't show in device manager.
3. Download ALL the drivers from dell website(yes, i know they're huge), including the BIOS, Touchpad and ethernet controller drivers.
5. And PLEASE download Catalyst Centre from the AMD website. You can use both graphics without it, if you want, but TRUST me, THIS program is why we buy "AMD" instead of "Intel+discrete graphics".
4. Youre good to go!!
incorrect description given about the laptop
by Santosh Varma on 2014-08-05
I had bought this laptop but sent it for return because the graphics card was different instead of AMD Radeon HD R5 M230. It was just Amd R4 graphics card.
there is no such graphics as AMD Radeon HD R4 M230.
It is only AMD R4.
flipkart please correct your description about the product.
by Ricky on 2014-08-09
Using this laptop for last 15 days, this is a excellent configuration laptop on which i am doing programming as well as playing Games. It's a must buy laptop if you have low budget. Also LED screen is super bright and viewing movies and playing games is good on it.
It has on board graphics as well as 2 gb dedicated graphic. On total i got 3.5 gb graphic.
LED Screen is very good.
Audio is also good.
it does not have a HDMI port.
by Master Magesh on 2015-02-12
I bought 2 months back here, battery back is excellent, working for more than 5 hrs around.
But little gap found on touch pad, but i adjusted. Good Performance. Installed Windows 10, it giving good performance.
by Vamsidhar Bethanabatla on 2015-02-08
Amazing value for money. Good performance. Display can be better. Colors not so good. Excellent for programming work. Multitasking is good. Looks are nice (different from regular Dells). People around me have mostly been surprised to see such simple and neat look on a Dell laptop.
by R on 2014-12-21
Though performance is OK, the build quality is terrible. You just won't feel you are using a good quality laptop. The body is extremely flimsy. You will hear noises from everywhere, from the touchpad, the screen body. Even on opening and closing the top you feel as if you might break it.
Touchpad and Navigation buttons are too clumsy
by RamKumar on 2014-12-18
Flipkart has done their part by delivering what was promised in the description in timely manner. But I find it very hard to use the touchpad even after i changed the mouse pointer settings and also Navigation keys like up,down are very clumsy.
Great gaming performance for the price
by Kamran Ahmed Ansari on 2014-11-15
All I would say is it runs:
1. Skyrim in High quality graphics smoothly
2. Unreal Tournament 3 in full quality smoothly
3. Border Lands 2 in full quality smoothly
by Alex on 2014-10-18
A good product from dell. The best feature I liked was it has 1GB Radeon R4 integrated primary graphics backed by 2 GB Radeon R5 dedicated graphics. Design is awesome. Sound is ok. Battery Backup is only 3 hours. But any how worth of money
Working great with Linux
by Dilawar Singh on 2015-08-07
After receiving the laptop, I reinstalled Ubuntu-14.04 (It came with 12.04). The performance of the machine is great. It does not heat up i.e. battery last pretty long 4 hours. Much better than my old but trusty Inspiron (intel processor) which heats up quickly on Linux. Though there is some problem with adjusting the brightness of screen. And keyboard is make of very light material. Not so sturdy.
I can't comment on the graphics card performance for I don't play games. It has four cores and `make -j4` save me a lot of time when I recompile my simulator.
Its a good and value for money laptop for developers. I'd strongly recommend it to students who use computers for computing/programming.
Keyboard is decent, but build can be improved, but the laptop does not look ugly to me. But I spend my most of the time in Terminal (what do I know about looks!)
And oh yeah, people around me liked the display (no (t much) glare).
View all 16 Reviews