WAS the cheapest laptop with a 4th gen i5
by Sidharth on 2014-03-25
Update 2 !! - Toshiba was unable to even understand the issue relating to intel vt-x and they never responded to my emails and kept beating around the bush. By far the worst tech support I have ever come across.
Finally I figured out the issue with the intel vt-x. So here goes the explanation:
In the bios if you set the intel virtualization to 'vt-x only' , and you run speccy or microsofts hypervisor advisor tool, it will report that vt-x is available but disabled. The ladies at toshiba tech support that attended my call (after me emailing and following up for a month with no proper response from them) kept giving lame excuses.
Ok, now coming to the point... I did some playing around and figured out the issue.
To get the intel vt-x to 'show up' at the OS level you need to set the 'intel virtualization' option in the BIOS to DISABLED !!! YES, you read it right.. if its set to DISABLED then it works as intended, and shows up on speccy and microsofts tool as enabled. Weird BIOS ..
What is the use of intel vt-x ?
One of my reasons for needing intel vt-x is i need to run 64 bit virtual machines on oracle virtual box/vmware , and without this vt-x enabled you just don't even get an option to create a 64 bit vm. Only after i set it to 'disabled' was I able to get it working and create my 64 bit virtual machines. Pls do read more about intel vt-x on intel's website.
UPDATE 1 !! ALERT : This laptop hardware (i.e. CPU,) is capable of intel vt-x (intel's virtualization platform) but TOSHIBA doesn't have a supporting BIOS firmware/motherboard and hence this feature shows up as 'disabled' at the OS level (tested using speccy, cpuz, microsofts' tool)even though it is set to enabled in the BIOS . this is a very useful feature for those who are looking to run virtualization stuff on the laptop such as vmware/hyper-v etc..
I have been trying to get in touch with toshiba, but it hasnt worked out so far.they even gave me a bios update (you cant figure out which one to use on their indian website), but the update did not do any miracles for the vt-x. I am still waiting for an update from Toshiba from the past 2 weeks.
1. it effectively cost me only around 30k (after various discounts n refund from flipkart)
2. the one i received came with a single 4GB RAM (not 2 x 2 GB as mentioned in the listing)
3. The RAM module used on this laptop are DDR3L (low voltage i.e. 1.35V , normally its 1.5V) - 4th gen core i processors are made to work with the low voltage spec RAM's - still difficult to find a DDR3L RAM (since 90% of them being sold are 1.5V spec) - maybe they will be available sooner.
4. Trouble getting certain drivers for Win 7 64 bit (usb3.0 , bluetooth, toshiba audio enhancement) - I see toshiba have released new drivers over the past week, but i managed to get them earlier after some googling since I got this laptop on the 15th march. The toshiba audio enhancement still doesnt install.
5. The audio quality is POOR - The drivers on the toshiba site are for realtek audio but the laptop seems to have the IDT audio chipset (had to use windows update to get the drivers)
6. The keypad has a lot of 'gaps' and will definitely cause a lot of dust to enter. I would suggest using one of those keypad protectors rubber sheet.
7. The wifi / bluetooth indicator always lights up in red and doesnt go off even when you use the Fn+wifi toggle to turn off/on wifi - still trying to figure out how it works.
8. Battery life is good - currently lasts around 4.5 hrs under normal office usage (no movies/gaming :-) ). You could watch a 2 hr movie and then get another hour out of it. Also depends on the power plan you chose.
9. Opening the cover that houses the RAM/HDD is a pain. It is so hard to pull it off that you need to use a lot of force & still be careful to not break it.
10. I find the port placing to be a little awkward. For example the LAN port is on the right which interferes when one uses a mouse, and the power connector is on the left and the power cable provided is SHORT. Ideally the power port should have been on the right or rear and the LAN port at the rear or left.
11. I find that the lcd panel of the screen itself moves around 0.5 mm up and down (place your thumb on the screen and gently move it up and down and u can feel that the screen is 'loose' ) - not sure if its specific to the piece i received or affects every piece in this model.
12. Performance wise the laptop is good except for some of the annoyances mentioned above. I now see that is selling at around 39k !! I wouldn't have paid 39k. it was a deal for me at around 30k.
13. And i am still struggling to get it registered for the warranty/extended warranty offer. Been following up with Toshiba for more that 1 week now and they just emailed me yesterday that it will take another 15 days to get it updated.
3 Stars for the annoyances and the recent bump in price.. If you are spending close to 40k, get a Lenovo or Dell.
Toshiba- Best product with worst support
by banasar on 2014-04-23
About Toshiba –
If you are comparing the budget and Quality – the best products in laptop is Toshiba laptops
But the only problem with drivers … If you are not buying with operating system – You are pissed out !
I bought the laptop and installed the WIN7 but the drivers where not taking – the laptop drivers which Toshiba website was mentioned in their official website also in trouble
Finally I called CC of Toshiba , they bluffed me that the issue happened with pirated windows, then showed them the same problem by installing genuine windows
Toshiba engineer came and they faced many trouble to troubleshoot the problem
Finaly they fixed the issue but the very next day the HDD crash !!! Again I called flipkart , flipkart people told me that any ELECTRONIC items which you are buying from FLIPKART will not return unless untill there is a phyisical damage – if the customer is not satisfied with product – it is up to customer :D
Lots of fight between flipkart and toshiba …finally flipkart people replied me that with referance to this issue , they will refund the money
Meanwhile toshiba replaced HDD and installed win8
Complete Review of Toshiba Satellite c50-a x0011
by Arijit Sarkar on 2014-04-30
So, there are basically three aspects you need to consider
Build Quality - the whole body is made of plastic which seem very brittle but actually isnt that. The keys are all easily pressed which makes typing easy but it makes the plastic sound. Power button looks good with the white light. Speakers are very poorly built with a very low and 'treble'y volume. Mouse on the other hand is amazingly strong. it feels good as it has the rough surface with right and left buttons. Numpad is useful is i'm glad i had it. The ports are fantastic, all of them. no problem. Camera is very bad but satisfactory for video chats.
Performance- The boot time is pretty good for windows 7 and ubuntu. Ubuntu drivers are not yet configured properly for toshiba. Display is good, i personally dont have any problems as my eyes dont pain if im up all night without lights too. Battery is good. gives me atleast 4 hrs at high performance while playing games and surfing. Intel HD 4600 gives us approx 1.7gb graphics which will work ok on mid and low quality graphics for latest games. Audio aux output is good through headphones or speakers. hdmi port is jus plug and play, no issues with that. The charger gets heated up very very fast and stays hot as long as plugged in. DVD drive is built nicely, seems sturdy.
Durability - for now, it has not given me any major issues n i feel i can count on it.
you can register your product online within 10 days of purchase and you will an extended warranty of 2 yrs which makes it total 3 yrs.
CONS________--------- there is one problem with the power management which adds static to the audio port or the screen. when this happens, the port and/or the screen stop working. the only solution to this is that remove the battery, press and hold the power button for 60 sec. insert battery n restart. this is the only method that solves the problem. if it doesnt work, repeat the above process again. :)
my opinion - everybody has some flaws. i dont regret buying this laptop.thank you.
by Debarshi Majumdar on 2014-06-28
This was a steal for me at ? 33400/- with 3 years extended warranty but the laptop when it was delivered itself surprised me. I have now used it for 3 months and have to say its one of the best laptops available below ? 35000/-. It has absolutely no heating issues. Because of the 4th generation processors its heating is almost nil when doing low processor work like surfing, typing, Facebook etc etc and also very less when watching movies and still lesser than other laptops while gaming. And yeah be rest assured it can play all types of games although if you ask me extremely high end games I dont know about that but EA Sports, FIFA, NFS were played with ease. Its battery back up is the best feature. Earlier for my old laptop I used to be conscious when the battery is going to be finished but not this one. It gives 4 hours easily after moderate level of work like listening music, typing, watching videos etc etc. Most important of all it has not even hanged for once in these three months.
It has a caps lock indicator, power indicators, all Windows 7 drivers are available at Toshiba website unlike HP, Dell and Asus and the touch pad always stays smooth no matter your fingers are wet or dry
POOR BATTERY AND DISPLAY
by Lalit SHARMA on 2014-04-08
friends, please dont go for this product, if u want a decent battery life and good picture quality. It has only 2 hrs of back up despite a 6 cell battery. i have tried all drivers which are required for display still the picture quality disappoints.
1. Key pad is soft and typing is very smooth.
2. i5 processor within 34 k seems a good deal.
1. poor battery life appx. 2 hrs. when used continuously
2. Poor display. pictures and images looks faded.
3. heavy machine.
Flipkart has delivered the product within 4 days. there is no flaw from flipkart. Toshiba should rethink about the technology they are using in display and batteries.
Final verdict. if u really want a good product and have a budget of 35 k then go for hp or dell even they are offering a i3 in this range. because other things also matters.
by Flipkart Customer on 2014-03-17
I bought this laptop for my friend, It is a power packed config, no present model with 4th gen CI5 4gb 500gb is available at 32291/-. operation is butter smooth, battery lasts for over 4 hrs, very less heat generated, plastic quality is cheap. no problems in configuring & running.
Good specs bad build quality
by tummala seethapathi on 2016-07-23
You need to buy this laptop if you have good knowledge about installing OS and drivers.Since it is free DOS ,there may be difficulty in installing drivers, anyway you can take it to some computer shop and install everything. There are reviews saying that there is no good support. But it is wrong.There were issues with some of my keyboard keys and when I went to the customer care they replaced it with a new keyboard. So if you have physical problems or software problems the support is good. Coming to build quality, it is very cheap and the placement of parts is unsymmetrical. I have an old Toshiba satellite of 2007, and surprisingly it has very good build quality(metal) except for the more weight.The specs are good for the cost that you are getting Intel i5 gen 4 at this price.
1. Good processor
2.You can set your HDD to sata mode AHCI before installing OS which gives very good HDD performance and if you want to install HDD hackingtosh.
3.16:9 screen for watching movie in full screen.
4. Low price.
1. Keyboard is not UpTo mark.
2. Touch pad is definitely bad and feels like cheap plastic.
3. Bad build quality.
4. Does not come with operating system.
So if you want an empty laptop to install whatever you want in it then buy it.
I would recommend to buy and replace the HDD with SSD .
This laptop is hackingtosh compatible, I installed Mac OSX Elcapitan on it. So if you are looking for it then it is a cheap alternative.
very very poor laptop ever
by Kaunik Biswas on 2015-11-08
Toshiba Satellite C50-A X0012 Laptop(4th Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 500GB/ No OS) this is the most 3rd class laptop i ever seen. please do not buy this laptop. i got this laptop on 03/11/2015 and touch pad mouse got out of order on 07/11/2015. my rs. 29990/- wested. flipkart team must refund money back, then i will be grateful. flipkart must not sell this 3rd class laptop on their site.
by Bikash on 2015-04-05
Gifted it to one of my friends , he liked it very much. Value for money and super-fast while using. No hickups yet even after so many days
by PK on 2015-03-30
Need exact Driver URLs for the following for Windows 7 64-Bit-
- Function Keys
Apart from the missing drivers,this is an amazing Laptop as it has the latest Process i5 4200M
View all 36 Reviews
Keyboard is terrible you cant even see what is the key value ...
by Senthil kumar on 2014-09-29
Very cheap Plastic. Keyboard is terrible you cant even see what is the key value under bright Tubelight.
Toshiba Satellite C50-A X0012
by PA on 2014-08-19
Pathetic performance. Please do not purchase this laptop. It is dam slow and low quality. I am suffering after purchasing this laptop. It even does not deserve 1 star
Positives ========== Processor is giving good performance as of now
by Sam on 2014-11-24
i got the item on time and product is of same as mentioned in the website.
Processor is giving good performance as of now.
I got it for 30k and it is worth for it. You wont get i5 4th generation configuration for this price. The same is showing 45k in Toshiba official website (Same configuration).
4200M is good processor, i checked few other brand of i5 series and most of the configuration are staring with 4200U and 4210U , compared to these processor benchmark is good for 4200M that too for 30k.
4GB DDR3 RAM which is sufficient (still you have provision to expand).
Battery backup you will get more than 4hr for normal use with a proper power saving mode.
I did not find any heating problem as such.
Display is good.
First drawback is :-They would have kept the driver CD along with packet. I was knocking next door to download Ethernet and wifi drivers :). Toshiba site also you will find 2-3 driver version for C-50-A series. You need to match with your system specification, which is another headache. (First time only)
Second drawback is wifi indicator which is alway ON even through the wifi is OFF.. don't know whether Toshiba really meant like that or it is a defect (if anybody have solution for this plz post it here), anyway its not a problem as of now.
Third drawback is LAN port position, USB port positions are not in proper design they would have placed in a convenient positions. On long run you will get used to it :P
Speakers are not that much great. Its Ok you can manage with a good headset
Pros 1) Affordable price and Toshiba brand value 2) Core i5 4th generation processor and 4 GB Ram good speed, smooth and lesser
by Sree on 2014-12-10
This product is a value for money buy.
1) Affordable price and Toshiba brand value
2) Core i5 4th generation processor and 4 GB Ram good speed, smooth and lesser heat generation.
3) Nice looks
4) Can easily install any Operating System including Windows 8.1
5) New drivers are available from Toshiba India and Toshiba UK websites.
1) Cheap fragile plastics and if you shake it you can hear the rattling sounds. I was surprised.
2) Seems like a metal touch pad but in reality that is also plastic.
3) Confusing drivers download page with no specific model name of this particular device. You have to search for the generic drivers.
A person with some knowledge of how to install an operating system this device is a good buy, You can save Rs.2500-3000 because it has no pre-installed Windows. Drivers can be installed with out much troubles if you are experienced in it. Overall satisfied with the purchase but I wish to get better build quality.4 star out of 5.
by Aamir on 2015-01-16
What does 1 year Warranty Provided by Manufacturer means??
On Registering my laptop for Warranty Toshiba says that Warranty for newly purchased laptop has Expired within 12 days.
by Gurpreet Kaur on 2014-11-01
Excellent Performance as per specifications. I love Toshiba from past history of usage. However, the delivery is too delayed and can cause business loss.
good value for money laptop
by sai on 2014-09-03
good laptop....value for money....no lags...!
The product is good, but if Operating Station & drivers will be ...
by Jaibir S. on 2014-12-15
The product is good, but if Operating Station & drivers will be company loaded then it will become the amazing product.
Abnormal Display Problem
by Ankit Jha on 2014-09-23
I ordered this laptop last week. This came with no OS. When i started it for the first time, the screen was going extremely dim and was coming back, it was kind of a black out and then normal with in few seconds. i thought that this could be a problem which will get automatically resolved once i install a OS, so i installed UBUNTU(LINUX) on that, but nothing changed, the laptop was behaving exactly same.
This problem is not continuous, like it will not happen all the time, but happens some time.
If i have not faced this problem , then i would have given it a 5 star, because of worth for money, but this thing changed my mind and made me feel upset.
by Tall on 2015-09-08
Excellent product works like a charm best config for less..
View all 22 Reviews